Protecting your kids from harmful germs is manageable enough at home. But what about when they are at school? To help protect children throughout the year, Safeguard is proud to support the Clean Hands, Healthy Kids School Education Program. This program was created exclusively by Safeguard to help promote good hand-washing habits among children, because hand washing is the single most important way to prevent the spread of disease.
How the Clean Hands, Healthy Kids School Education Program Works
Safeguard strives to have a positive, lasting impact on schoolchildren’s hand-washing habits. The program teaches children when to wash their hands, how to properly wash their hands, and how often to wash their hands, with the help of fun and engaging activities that include Commander Safeguard, our own hand washing superhero who is dedicated to defeating harmful germs.
At the core of the message are the five most important hand washing moments:
- After playing outside
- When getting home from school
- After sneezing or coughing
- Before eating
- After using the toilet
In addition, the program also teaches children the five hand washing steps:
- Wet hands under clean, running water.
- Create a full lather on hands with Safeguard soap.
- Scrub hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse hands with clean water.
- Completely dry hands with a clean towel, or air dry.
Learn more about hand-washing basics.
How Clean Hands, Healthy Kids Has Helped
Since it first began in 2008, the Clean Hands, Healthy Kids School Education Program has taught proper hand washing to more than 50 million kids around the world. This includes:
- The Philippines: Safeguard has partnered with the Department of Education and UNICEF to educate more than 2 million children on the importance of hand washing.
- China: Safeguard is helping to build a “Great Wall of Health” through hand-washing education and hygiene infrastructure in schools. We are on our way to educating 100 million children by 2015.
- Pakistan: More than 6 million children have received hand-washing education from Safeguard, with a goal of reaching 15 million by 2015. One of our most recent initiatives is a partnership with Save the Children® to bring improved hand washing, toilet, and water supply facilities to 100 primary schools